Friday, December 4, 2009

Best of '09 Blog Challenge: Days 1-4

I have quite the unnatural obsession with lists, favorites, memes, etc, so I was over-the-moon to discover Gwen Bell's Best of '09 blog challenge. Every day in December, bloggers will post their responses to her "Best of '09" categories. I may not do every day's category but I'm going to try to do as many as I can. Since it's already December 4th, I have some catching up to do!

December 1: Best Trip

This is the first year in five years that I did not travel abroad. While I would have loved to see other parts of the world, I am really thankful to have had the chance to get to see more of the good old US of A. I visited Florida, Missouri, Maine (three times!) and Massachusetts for the first time this year. Of those, my favorite was my first trip to Maine back in August. I got to know Jesse's family much better, see a beautiful part of the country and fell in love with New England. We spent our days recharging our batteries, swimming, reading, eating all things blueberry and sight-seeing. Even now, when I need to relax, I mentally picture our time spent at the lake.

December 2: Best Restaurant Moment

My birthday is four days before Valentine's Day. Last February Jesse came to visit and we went out to Me Jana, which serves Lebanese tapas, to celebrate both occasions. The food was scrumptious and the company was so very handsome. It was romantic and perfect.

December 3: Best Article

"Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch" by Michael Pollan was both interesting and engaging.

December 4: Best Book

I read roughly 80 books a year, so it is very hard to pick just one....so I'll pick four. Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder both broke my heart and gave me hope. This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor by Susan Wicklund steeled my resolve. Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nick Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn , which I blogged about here, opened my eyes and motivated me to do more. And lastly, The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau inspired me to get into the kitchen and get creative.

{Photo credit: mysza831}

1 comment:

stephanie alaine said...

last time i was in the city (ok, well arlington), my sister took me to Me Jana for lunch! she works right down the street! it was decadent...i love your best of restaurant choice!