Thursday, January 21, 2010

Revelry Review: Food Rules

I have a confession: I am a little bit obsessed with Michael Pollan. I find his books to contain the kind of information that is power. Knowing about where your food comes from and what exactly it is that you are putting into your body is crucial for getting and staying healthy. When I saw his new book, Food Rules: An Eater's Manual, I had to read it.

Food Rules is essentially a compact and condensed version of Pollan's other works. Some will be familiar to anyone who has read his books, such as "Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food." Others were simply great reminders, such as "It's not food if it is called the same thing in every language (think Big Mac, Cheetos or Pringles)", "Don't eat cereal that changes the color of your milk" and "Drink your spinach water" (he advocates using the water we cook our veggies in, which is in itself full of rich vitamins and antioxidants, by adding it to things like soups and stocks).

Overall, Food Rules contains nothing new to conscientious eaters but it does provide some great reminders in a compact book that will help you live a healthier life and make better food choices.

You can read a Q&A with Michael Pollan about this book from the New York Times here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I adore Michael Pollan. Adore.

I loved The Botany of Desire -- the research in that was just excellent -- and the other one about him attempting to build his own writing cabin is hysterical.

The Depressed Yogi said...

How funny - I just flipped through this book while in DC!

KK said...

"It's not food it if is called the same thing in every language."

That really brought it home for me - it's amazing the things I ran across in China or Thailand that were called the same thing as in English-speaking countries.

Did he include anything about soft drinks, like "Don't drink anything that can also be used to clean your toilet"? It still amazes me that Coke is a better toilet cleaner than just about anything else.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna have to check that one out! Thank you. Have you read The Hundred Year Lie or Diet for a New America? Both great reads as well!
Namaste~Heather
http://namaste-heather.com