Monday, January 24, 2011

Weekend!

I had one of the best weekends in recent memory, so I couldn't wait to tell you all about it!

On Friday we received our first delivery from Washington Green Grocer! They deliver fresh fruits and veggies (and things like bread, dairy, etc.) right to your door. You can sign up for delivery every week automatically or just when you tell them. It was so nice to have fresh produce just in time for the weekend. They have amazing customer service and if you live in the DC area, I highly recommend you give them a try!



Then on Friday night, we went to see the Washington Wizards play the Phoenix Suns. I've lived in the area for almost ten years and played basketball for most of my childhood, but I had just never gotten tickets and gone to a game. Now that Jesse lives here, we decided to do it. John McCain was there too. It was a lot of fun!




On Saturday night, Jesse and I had a much-needed date night. We had a delicious Restaurant Week dinner at Masa 14, which serves Asian-Latin fusion small plates. There are no pictures because it was very dark inside the restaurant, but it was some of the best food I've ever had! I'm also now obsessed with tamarind margaritas. After that we walked around Georgetown and I replenished my supply of Lush bath bombs and bubble bars with some old favorites, like Butterball and Creamy Candy, and got some new ones to try like Mrs. Whippy and Magic Mushroom. We finished the night by seeing "The King's Speech", was which fantastic!

On Sunday, I got news that I won a raffle that I had entered the night before when we were at Lush! I won a giant bottle of "It's Raining Men" shower gel and a Hottie massage bar. We picked those up and got some groceries. Then we headed out to a Borders in Northern Virginia for Kris Carr's talk and book signing for her new book, "Crazy Sexy Diet".

Kris was every bit as amazing in person as I thought she might be. My top take-aways from her talk? First, even though the saying is that you have nothing without your health, it should really be that you have nothing without your happiness. That should be the number one focus. If you really want to make a lasting change, you have to change your mindset (your "stinkin' thinkin'", in her words). Create new neural pathways with positive thinking that won't cause stress (because stress causes inflammation!). Her book is basically an anti-inflammation diet that is big on getting oxygen and nutrients to your cells because diseases like cancer thrive where there is no oxygen.

She also talked about creating a health revolution from the bottom up, which is definitely something I can get behind. She said it doesn't matter if you just dip a toe in the pool or throw on your bikini and dive in, but you should do something! During the question and answer session, she mentioned that both green smoothies and juicing are equally good for different reasons, and that you should do whatever one you like best so that you get your greens in. A woman in the audience said she felt selfish because she was spending a lot of money on organic produce and other health items that her kids and husband didn't even really like. Kris was quick to point out that she was investing in their future and the money was better spent on the prevention side in the refrigerator than in the medicine cabinet. She said that the woman's journey was one of the most selfless things she could do, which I agree with and need to remember when things seem tough. You can go to my.crazysexylife.com and sign up for free to do the 21-day adventure cleanse with fellow Crazy Sexy Dieters and get advice and support.

After the talk she signed my book and was gracious enough to even take a picture with me! Here's me and my health inspiration:



1 comment:

Globetrotting Cacti said...

Hi! Alison here (I asked about your book signing on Twitter). Finished reading Crazy Sexy Diet last night an loved every word on it. As a Mum to 2 small children I can empathise with the lady who asked that question.

Sounds like you had an amazing week-end.