Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Joy Diet: Connection

This was my favorite chapter of The Joy Diet by Martha Beck. It spoke to me on so many levels that I am not really sure where to begin. Let's just say that recently several key relationships in my life have felt totally out of whack and her suggestions for connection seem like a wonderful way to begin to bring them back to where they used to be.

I really loved when she talked about "nothing doing" while in the presence of the person with whom you want to connect. "I have found that it is impossible to truly do nothing while interacting with another person and not fall in love with them," she writes. To be honest, it is in those quiet moments of togetherness, when we aren't doing anything and my mind isn't all over the place, that I fall even more in love with my boyfriend. I haven't tried this as much with other people in my life, but it feels like it could have endless potential for connection.

One section of this chapter is subtitled, "Master Doing Nothing, Telling Yourself the Truth, Identifying Your Heart's Desires, and Daring to Risk". That in and of itself sounds like a pretty good recipe for life.

{Photo credit: Ana_Cotta}

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also love the quiet "nothing doing" moments with my husband. I am just me, he is just himself, and we become just us. And if feels so good.

I wonder what would happen if I allowed myself to be just me with other people? Would it allow them to relax and be just themselves?


We could start a revolution!!!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how nothingness can cultivate so much! :)

Kaileen Elise said...

i love the points you've taken from this chapter. i have been trying to do nothing while interacting with others - it is an interesting challenge :) xo ♥kaileenelise

Melita said...

love your approach on this chapter. i am so happy i have connected with you. hugs!!