Sunday, October 30, 2011

Vegan Mofo 13: Tempeh Sloppy Joes

I made Sloppy Joes for dinner the other night on a whim. It was snowing (?!?!) outside and I wanted a quick comfort meal. The truth is, however, it was really on a whim because I had never had them before. Even in my pre-veg days, I have never eaten red meat. When I was first given a hamburger to try, I told my Mom it looked like worms and that was that. I did, however, grow up in a house where these were made from time to time. I wasn't sure that I would actually like them since they had the same smell as the animal ones I had grown up around.

The verdict: These are awesome. I love having another way to use tempeh, especially because I don't love it on its own and this is an easy way to get more protein. I also like the veggies in there and the fact that I get to eat these on a burger bun! The recipe came from this post on the Vegan Dad blog. I highly recommend giving these a try!



Sautee green pepper, onion and celery.

Add grated tempeh that has been steamed with soy sauce.

Add spices and sauces.

The finished product!

Serve with roasted brussel sprouts and sweet potato tater tots.

No comments: