Thursday, August 27, 2009

Overcoming the Post-Vacation Blues

I have been feeling pretty low post-vacation. I feel both overwhelmed and like I need a new direction.

Vacation taught me: that saying no to things is okay, to focus on making a life before making a living, that relaxation is vital for my survival, sometimes doing nothing is exactly what I need and that being in the present moment is the only thing that really matters. I also think I learned that the hunches I had that I am not on the right path for me are correct. Ha...that's a lot for one vacation, right?

Yesterday I came across the "Five Steps for Setting Happiness Resolutions" by Positively Present and the day before that The Bliss Chick posted about the results of staying true to one's passions. Both of these posts could not have come at a better time.

Action steps I can take to refocus, recommit and reconnect right now and in the coming months:

-Say no to things that I don't want to do, I just cannot do or are not realistic at this time.
-Pare down the list of my obligations.
-Create a schedule that is workable and that includes down time.
-Lose the guilt over not doing things that others want me to do.
-Take time to connect to like-minded souls.
-Refuse to let obligations impede on a decent night's sleep.
-Eat well, exercise more and build up my yoga practice.
-Journal. A lot. Get quiet more often so I can hear what I really want.
-Focus on the here and now and not the here and 1, 3, 5 and 10 years from now.

{Photo credit: James Photography Freak}

3 comments:

Melita said...

this is a wonderful post & i highly commend you for doing this. i think we all put too much on our plates from time to time and forget to take care of ourselves. and you know that old saying, if we don't take care of ourselves no one else will, well, it's true to some respects. i am glad that you are taking care of your number one!! :)

Unknown said...

I love how your post emphasizes taking care of yourself and also the importance of being present rather than worry about the future

green ink said...

Great post Lauren. I love how much your goals focus on being present, and making your here and now the best it can be. You've inspired me to do a similar list, and especially to journal more. I think that is where I can hear my heart the most. x