Thursday, March 18, 2010

Vegan Kickstart: Days 17 & 18

I have a confession: for the most part, I hate vegan substitutes for meat products. I absolutely will not eat faux meat. I never ate burgers or sausage to begin with so I really don't want to eat something that looks like one. It's a total mental hurdle that I just can't seem to get over. I can't wrap my brain around mock seafood and I can't imagine eating fake lunch meat. I haven't even been able to bring myself to eat seitan (it looks too much like meat!) or soy crumbles. I'm a regular tofu, lentils and veggie kind of girl.

However, non-existent gall bladder beware, I do like the occasional cheese item. I thought that it would be very difficult to completely give up but the good news is that it hasn't been at all. It's especially good news because I haven't liked the two dairy-free cheeses I have tried, Sheese and Daiya. I opened the Sheese package and, based on color, odor and consistency, couldn't even bring myself to try it. I know, I'm the world's pickiest eater! The Daiya was a little bit better, but the cheddar style, which I had on nachos, was pretty darn salty. I still have the Italian blend in my freezer, just waiting for the time when I am craving cheesy pizza and feeling adventurous. Sometime soon I would also like to try a cream cheese substitute.

For the most part, however, I don't want to eat substitutes. I want veggies and whole grains. I do, however, worry what might happen when the time comes that I have bad cravings for a grilled cheese or a melty slice of pizza and dairy-free cheeses just won't cut it.

4 comments:

The Depressed Yogi said...

Fake meat and fake cheese for the most part FREAK me out. That being said, I can't wait to get my hands on some Daiya b/c there are a couple things I want to make that just need some cheesy!

Anonymous said...

I like daiya more and more. The first time I tried it I thought "eh, it will do for some things - but it's not amazing" BUT, the more I eat it - the more I love it. And the more it tastes like "real" cheese to me - not sure if that just means my taste buds have completely changed. That being said, I have found that I am using too much Daiya recently - I'm eating it way more often than I used to eat cheese and that FREAKS me out.

I do eat some fake meat products (I keep some gardein in my freezer for lunch and dinner emergencies) and I do eat veggie burgers (but I prefer to make homemade ones myself).

I've never been a fan of processed food. Anything that requires someone to wear a lab coat while making it really disturbs me. That being said, I know that eating a completely unprocessed diet is impossible (for me anyway) and I do like the convenience of a frozen veggie burger at the end of a 15 hour work day.

But, for the most part - I'm with you. No fake subs please - pass the real food!

Anonymous said...

I soo identify with your post! I am a vegetarian- not a huge fan of fake meat and my husband absolutely hates it (he has been vegetarian all his life). I am contemplating becoming vegan and worry about cheese cravings too. I will try Daiya this weekend..

Lavanya

Pink Heels said...

Too funny! The idea of chemically created cheese definitely scares me! I can't be a vegan because I have to eat the real stuff...of course in moderation. : )