Thursday, July 9, 2009

Om at home.

One thing I have wanted to incorporate into my life for  awhile now is a commitment to a regular home yoga practice.  When I did level 1 of the teacher training, I was practicing just before it began and just after it ended at home nearly every day for a few months.  Then grad school plus work left me with barely any time to breathe, let alone anything else.  But during that time, I realized exactly how much my body--and mind, actually--was craving a regular practice.  I would find myself doing yogic breathing during class or sitting in child's pose for awhile at night before bed.  

And now, as I consider the second level of teacher training--the 200 hour Yoga Alliance certification--I realize I need to deepen my practice before making that decision and build a home practice.  (I also want to try a few other styles of yoga before doing the teacher training.)

Do any of you have a home yoga practice?  What does it look like?  Do you just do it or do you use a DVD or CD or a book that has sequences?  Do you practice in the morning or at night?  Do you always practice in the same place?  Do you practice outside?  How long is your practice and how many times do you practice each week?

1 comment:

Globetrotting Cacti said...

I practice when I can. Some weeks every day and other weeks only once or twice. In the UK we have a TV channel devoted to yoga so I tend to put that on - lots of styles and variations. I like to mix things up as I get bored with a repetitive DVD....